Anaemia resembles Pandu of Ayurveda. Every state in which there is a lack of blood is known Pandu in Ayurveda.According to modern medical science Anaemia is only a symptom which results of various diseases. In Ayurveda Pandu has been described as an important and independent disease. Ignorance of it may be the reason of a lot of diseases such as heptomegaly, spleenomegaly, oedema, jaundice etc. Decrease in the total amount of haemoglobin or red blood cells is anaemia. It’s more common in females than males. In a healthy person the normal amount of haemoglobin is least 13g/dl for men and 11g/dl for women. Anaemia is divided on the basis of haemoglobin as follows –
- Mild degree – 9-11 gm%
- Moderate – 7-9 gm%
- Severe – 4-7 gm%
- Very severe – less than 4 gm% Pandu means a disease in which the complexion of patient’s body becomes pandu (white-yellow).
It has been classified as follows –
- Sannipataja and
- Mritbhakshanjanya ( by eating clay)
There is a very close relation between Pitta and Rakta (blood). Chemical functions of the body do not occur properly due to decrease or increase of Pitta. In the absence of proper chemical processes on the taken diet Rasa , Rakta (primary tissue of the body) etc. and Vata , Pitta and Kapha become abnormal and it results in the slack in construction process of primary tissues of the body. Thus the total physiological system specially blood production and blood circulatory system become dull. The dullness of the blood production system causes not only in the abnormality of the quantity of blood but also the constitution of it.
- Possibilities of anaemia in females are more than males due to some personal and familiar problems.
- Worms are the cause of it.
- There are some diseases in which haemorrhage is a symptom that causes of it.
- These diseases are : Pyorrhoea, peptic ulcer, colitis, bacillary dysentery, epistaxis and haemorrhoids etc.
- Digestion related irregularities which create deficiency of essential elements that interrupts the formation of blood.
- Malnutrition is an another important cause of it.
- Lack of iron rich diet. • Suffering from a long duration.
- Due to accidental haemorrhage.
- Presence of any kind of toxin in the body.
- Interruption in the formation of blood due to deficiency of vitamin B, C and folic acid.
- Bad habit of taking clay.
- After the attack of some diseases such as malaria and some kind of fevers.
- Medicines of modern medical science for curing fevers badly affect on liver.
- There is a lack of blood in fever and the toxic medicines of modern science for curing fever also cause anaemia.
- According to Madhavnidanam vitiated vata and other doshas from taking excess of exercise, salty, soured things, alcohol, clay, spicy things and day sleeping by a person spoiling blood create his skin pandu (white-yellow).
- Breathlessness even working for a while.
- Desire for taking rest always.
- Swelling all over the body.
- Giddiness and feeling darkness before the eyes.
- Low blood pressure.
- Pallor face and whitish nails.
- Loss of hunger due to disturbed digestion.
- Feeling mentally tired.
- Lack of proper sleep.
- Pricking sensation in fingers and toes.
- Recurrence of glossitis.
- Blurred vision
- Cramps and tingling in upper and lower limbs.
- Low grade fever.
- Anger without any reason.
- Sound like whistle in the ears.
- In Severe cases spoon shaped nails.
- With the other symptoms of anaemia our immunity grows weak and we may be in the grip of many diseases.
Prevention is better than cure :
- We must follow the following points so that we may free from anaemia.
- Avoidance of all those causes which have been narrated in the causes of the disease.
- Avoidance of taking modern medicines as possible for curing malaria and fever.
- Avoidance of excessive fast, since it checks the process of blood formation.
- Prefer such kind of diet which contains nutrients like iron, vitamin C .
- Using a cup of pomegranate juice with a pinch of lime is very beneficial both for prevention and treatment.
- Using salad tomato, cabbage, beet, radish is beneficial than excessive boiling them.
- Take proper treatment for worm infestation , peptic ulcer , haemorrhoids, colitis , pyorrhoea etc.
- Consulting an Ayurveda expert is the best solution since Ayurveda corrects the process of blood forming.
- There are a lot of very effective and valuable harmless medicines in Ayurveda to solve the problem by root.