Modern lifestyle has given us a lot of happiness and comfort in our life but on the other hand we have to face so many problems. One of the best example of this is Spondylitis. The citizens are suffering more than villagers from this disease. We may see the patients of this disease between 30 to old age. It is found in both males and females. Cervical spondylitis is very common about which we are going to talk.
Cervical Spondylitis :
It is also known as neck arthritis. Due to overgrowth of the cartilages and bones to make spine stronger the inter gap of the bones reduces and the bones come closer to each other and there is a pressure on the nerves of the spinal cord of the effected area which creates the symptoms of the disease.
- It is very common in those persons who work continuously in head bowing posture.
- Overweight lifting on the head.
- There are cushion like soft pads between the cervical bones to absorb any kind of jerk at the time of twisting or lifting activity , there is a gel like material which may dry out due to age and becomes a cause of rub of the vertebras.
- There may be cracks in the disks and the cushion material may come out and may cause of pressure on spinal cord and nerves.
- Any kind of injury of the neck may causes of it.
- Giddiness is a common symptom in it. Giddiness may be a symptom in hypertension, diabetes, hypotension, anaemia, ear related problems etc. , so deferential diagnosis is very important.
- Pain around the neck, front and back portion of the chest, from arm to fingers is an another common symptom in it but it must be diagnosed differentially, since the pain may be due to angina.
- Stiffness of the neck• Heaviness in the head at the time of reading or writing. It must be differentiate with ophthalmic problems and abnormalities of blood pressure.
- The pain may be worse at the time of standing, sneezing, yawning etc.
- As we know that prevention is better than cure.
- Avoid all those things which are the responsible for it such as lifting weight beyond our capacity and power, the greatest scientist of Ayurveda Charaka says in his Caraka Samhita ,” Doing work beyond our capacity and power is the best to create problem for our life
- As we see in our daily routine we don’t massage our body whereas Ayurveda says, ” Oil massage is very important part of our daily routine since it provides stability and power to fight with many factors which may be harmful to us., so oil massage must be done.
- Lying on a hard bed or floor is beneficial.
- Avoidance of all those things which vitiate Vata such as awaking till late night, driving bike for a long distance, cold atmosphere, stale diet, fast food, junk food, brinjal , gram, potato, cauliflower, peas, fasting, worries, excess of exercise and sex etc.
- As we see the symptoms of the disease, should be consulted with an Ayurveda expert.
- Fomenting with special herbal preparations is very beneficial.
- Avoidance of the works in which we have to bow our neck, if it is impossible to avoid it then take rest for 10 minutes after working each an hour.
- Constipation must be removed by taking castor oil with warm milk.
- Ayurveda can help in it without surgery.