I don’t know whether it is right or wrong but most of people use to say that when there are hiccups, it means someone who is very dear to us, is recalling . But frequency of hiccups increase then there is troublesome situation. I have seen a lot of patients during my practice who were very suffering from it. Having taken so many treatments they got only temporary relief. As the effect of medicines goes to the end it starts hiccup again. Sometimes the patient thinks that his liver, spleen and intestines will come out with hiccups. In Ayurveda it is called Hicca.
Vitiated Pranavata and Udanvata become active together, stopped inhaling air in the mid comes towards the mouth and suddenly there is a sound hic hic. Clonic diaphragmatic spasm is called Hiccup. Hiccup is an involuntary sudden contraction of the diaphragm, causing an inspiration which is suddenly arrested by the closure of the epiglottis, causing a characteristic sounds. It usually arises from gastric irritation.
- There are a lot of causes of the irregular spasm of the diaphragm.
- They may be divided between the two major sections.
- Related to the Digestive System and 2 Nervous System.
- In the first section there is an irritation of the oesophagus or stomach by pungent or irritant substances such as black paper, pickles or tobacco.
- It occurs also as a symptom in gastritis, dilation of the stomach, enteritis, intestinal obstruction, tympanitis and peritonitis and in late stages of debilitating disease.
- In the second section means related to the Nervous system – As in hysteria, cerebral tumour, meningitis, hydrocephalus, epilepsy and .
- It may also result from peripheral nerve irritation in such conditions as mediastinal tumours, mediastinitis, , enlarged thoracic gland, diaphragmatic pleurisy or pericardial effusion.
- All those foods or activities which vitiate Vata and Kapha may be the cause of Hiccup such as excess of fasting, physical work, wandering on foot etc.
- Excessive intake of foods which create dryness such as Gram.
- Excessive use of curd, milk, fish, cold water, heavy foods such as wild bean and pork.
The greatest scientist of Ayurveda Sushruta describes five kind of Hiccas ( Hiccup) in his text Sushruta Samhita . Last of two among them have been stated incurable – Gambheera and Mahahicca.
Though it seems that hiccup is very simple disease but when it attacks severely it creates very troublesome situation. Imagine if we are travelling and there is no medical facility and there it starts hiccup, then something will have to be done by us to provide prompt relief.
- Do something like that which may create surprise.
- Sprinkling of cold water stops it.
- Sudden terror, anger and extreme happiness can stop hiccup.
- Dry ginger 1gm. with 5gm. jiggery helps in it.
- Chewing aniseed with some sugar gives relief in it.
- Cow’s clarified butter with a pinch of rock salt in luke warm state gives relief when is used nasal drops.
- Smoking of wild bean gives immediate relief in it.
- Avoidance of all those things and activities which create the problem.
- Consult an Ayurveda expert.