Piles is basically a Latin word ‘pila ‘ , which means a ball and we can easily know that it can be applied for all forms of piles since they look like small balls. An another word is also used for this disease is haemorrhoids , which is originates from two Greek words (Haima= blood, rhoos= flowing). Haemorrhoids or piles are varicose rectal veins. The varicosity forms a swelling of variable size which may be altogether within the anus (Internal piles) or partly internal and partly external (Savill’s medicine).
It is called ‘ Arsha ‘ in Ayurveda, which means a disease that annoys like an enemy.
These can mainly be divided into two categories
- Idiopathic Causes : The following factors can be considered which are of importance as contributing agents in the causation of haemorrhoids.
- Hereditary : It may be common in many members or all the members of family.
- Constipation : Habitual constipation is undoubtedly the most common cause of haemorrhoids particularly in women. I have seen that there is very close relationship between constipation and haemorrhoids.
- Dietary Habits : Using soured, salty, spicy, fried, heavy thing, tea, coffee , fast food and junk food in excess. • Elimination of cereal fibres from the diet. Taking a little diet. Unable to take food at usual time. • Fasting for a long time.
- Diarrhoea & Dysentery :These may be cause of it.
- Faulty habits of defecation : These are equally responsible in the formation of piles. Doing extra excessive effort at the time of defecation.
- Anatomical factors. :
- Excessive Intaking of Alcohol : It causes portal congestion and thus becomes a causes of piles.
- Sedentary occupation and deficient exercise : These two factors also effect in it.
- Various local conditions such sitting on a cold seat or soft cushions which constricts the inferior haemorrhoidal vein, uterine displacement, pregnancy, carcinoma and other tumours of the rectum or pelvis may cause piles.
- Secondary Causes : Two factors have been included under this heading have a definite obstruction in the portal circulation interfering with the venous return from the superior haemorrhoidal veins.
- Portal obstruction
- Pregnancy and Abdominal tumours
- Classification : In relation to site of origin of haemorrhoids :
- Internal Haemorrhoids
- External Haemorrhoids
- Interno – External Haemorrhoids
- According to line of management :
- First Degree Haemorrhoids
- Second Degree Haemorrhoids
- Third Degree Haemorrhoids
- Fourth Degree Haemorrhoids
According to Sushruta Samhita there are six kind of Arsha (Haemorrhoids)
- Sahaja Generally there are two kinds of piles in practice Shuskarsha ( Non Bleeding Piles) and Raktarsha ( Bleeding Piles )
- Bleeding : It is the first and earlier symptom and may be noticed in the shape of blood spot on the motion but always in patients with constipation. In the next stage patient may notice a steady dip of blood after defecation. In the next stage bleeding may be a problem without defecation.
- Prolapse : There may be a protruding mass on straining while defecation.
- Discharge : Mucoid discharge may be a problem in patients who have permanently prolapsed piles.
- Anal Irritation : Mucoid discharge creates anal irritation.
- Secondary Anaemia : Severe bleeding from internal haemorrhoids may cause of Secondary anaemia. It may create symptom such as dyspnoea on exertion, dizziness, lethargy, pallor etc. • Erythema around the anus.
- Swelling and burning sensation.
- Difficulty during walking and sitting due to pain.
- Ignorance of this disease may create fistula etc.
- Following the way which has been suggested by Ayurveda to be healthy for ever both for prevention and treatment.
- Avoidance of constipation in any situation at any cost.
- Avoidance of painkillers as soon as possible since they cause constipation.
- Avoidance of spicy, oily, hard to digest things etc.
- Use of curd water is very very beneficial.
- Take 1/2 to 1 litter of luke water early in the morning is very good in it.
- Fabre rich diet is beneficial.
- Avoidance of fast food and junk food.
- Munching each bite of meal at least 24 times is very beneficial to escape of constipation.
- Avoidance of taking water just after taking food.
- Using Triphala ( An Ayurveda Preparation) Powder 1-2 teaspoonful with a glass of cow’s milk at bed time is very beneficial.
- Use of Jameekand (Amorphophalius) is very good in it.
- Juice of bitter gourd 20 ml with sugar candy powder is very good.
- Use of seedless resins 15 gm. with a glass of cow’s milk is beneficial.
- There are a lot of medicines in Ayurveda for this disease but an Ayurveda expert will decide the appropriate treatment for an individual according to his condition and constitution.
- Ksharsootra therapy is the best for the permanent relief in it.
- There are only 3 percents chances of recurrence of the disease after Kharsootra Therapy.
- Consulting an Ayurveda expert is very beneficial.