Thyroid gland is one of the most important Endocrine gland of our body. It is a ductless gland with a butterfly shape. It is situated at the front of neck covering the windpipe below the Adam’s apple. It has two lobes connected with isthmus. It secrets two kinds of hormones with the help of iodine received through our diet. These hormones regulate the metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins and fat of the various cells of the body. They play an important role in physical growth and mentally development. They control body weight, temperature and energy outlay. An another hormone Calcitonin is also secreted by thyroid gland. First two hormones are triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxin (T4). Regulation of thyroid gland is done by the pituitary gland. Hypothalamus regulates the pituitary gland by its hormone Thyrotropin Releasing Hormone (TRH). Pituitary gland secrets a hormone TSH and this TSH irritates the thyroid gland and results in the secretion of T3 and T4.
This the reason in the any kind of abnormality of the thyroid gland there is a disturbance in the function of it and a blood test is recommended for the level of TSH, T3 & T4.
It is a physiological abnormality of the thyroid gland. The level of TSH increases and T3 & T4 decrease in this disease.
- An irregular life style which violates the rules of Ayurveda means Nature plays an important role to produce it.
- Such kind of lifestyle effects thyroid gland.
- Specially tension, which is the gift of this age, is growing to be a cause of the disease.
- These days everybody is suffering from some kind of tension and perhaps this is the reason that the number of patients of thyroid gland is increasing day by day.
- Diet and activities which vitiate Kapha and Vata such as awaking till late night, sleeping during the day, excessive intake of cold things, dry things, working in Airconditioned atmosphere, using fast food, junk food etc.
- Physical & mental dullness.
- Weight gain
- Dryness of the skin
- Dryness of hair
- Falling hair
- Needle pricking sensation in the fingers
- Lack of memory
- Joint pain and stiffness
- Lack of enthusiasm
- Difficulty in breathing and swallowing
- Intolerance to cold.
- If we live our life according to the rules of Ayurveda we can get rid of it.
- Use of juices of pineapple, apple, carrots, beet and oranges are beneficial.
- Using water nuts and seeds of lotus is beneficial.
- Practising Ujjhayee pranayama regularly is very good.
- Avoidance of constipation
- Avoidance of sugar, tea, coffee, liquor, milk made sweets, fried and oily things and junk food.
- Place 2 tea spoonful of coriander seeds in a glass of water at night and boil it in the morning till reduces 1/4 glass of water and taking it on the empty stomach is beneficial.
- Practising Asanas and pranayama regularly is very good .
- Light exercise is good.
- Avoidance of protein rich diet and heavy things which are hard to digest.
- Use of Terminalia chebula specially placed in cow’s urine is very beneficial.
- Use of drumsticks in any form is very beneficial.
- Using water-cress is also beneficial.
- Consulting an Ayurveda expert and following his suggestions.